what to do about it. I feel like I have tried
everything! My sweet, sweet child refuses
to eat solids. He is the pickiest eater alive,
I swear. It started first with his reflux meds.
He has to take 2 doses a day of Prevacid and
4 doses a day of Reglan. He is a MASTER of
clamping his lips as tight as they will go and
then if by chance I do squeeze some in he
gags/chokes on it and spits it all over the place.
He is now transfering that to solids. He eats
rice cereal fine, but anything with flavor he
spits out and screams. I think part of it is the
spoon, he seems to hate that, but other than
that I don't know what it is! I've been trying
forever and all he wants is his nasty special
formula. I am worried that my child a). isn't
getting his medicine to help his reflux and
b). that he will never eat solids, only have a
bottle for the rest of his life and be
developmentally delayed.
Now yes, I am aware that I am probably
freaking out a little prematurely but I am a
first time mom, so I am blaming it on that. It
is just getting so frustrating every few hours we
battle it out- mom vs. the mouth. And we usually
end up with medicine and food alllll over the place
and none in the mouth. Anyone have any ideas?
He is 6 months old......so he really should be eating
something besides the bottle. I don't know what to do.
I am stumped.
7 comments:
I am no authority but did have Jacob, who was the pickiest eater. At six months I wouldn't get too worried, try to introduce something every now and then. I would stick with fruits at first since that is something that they normally like but Jacob really never ate baby food he went from the bottle to finger food and stayed a picky eater until he was about 16, now he basically eats anything. Are you doing the medicine with a dropper if not that might help.
I was logged on as Tanner. So the advice is really from Pam.
I was wondering how it was possible for Tanner to have Jacob. Maddy has never been the best eater but I find it easier if she distracted by the tv or something.
I had to do the medicine thing with Grace too. Just blow in his face so he has to swallow once you have the medicine in there. I really have no idea about the solid food thing...sorry I hope you get some good advice.
Ugh...I'm sorry. That has got to be beyond frustrating. I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm not a mama. Good luck, though. I say some prayers for you and your little man!
Liz had a hard time liking solids too so i would mix in a little applesauce with her cereal and then gradually increase the ratios of fruit to cereal. So, first more cereal to applesauce (or anything Jack likes). She still won't eat green beans or peas. Also, I didn't give up, I just kept offering it to her. Maybe using your finger at first to feed him would help because he hates that spoon. It's SOO frustrating isn't it! You're a good mom so I'm sure he'll get it eventually. Miss you guys!
I am so sorry you are struggling with this.I really wish I couldn't relate, but I can . .. I really can. The good news is this: at six months he will be fine with his formula and rice cereal. He will need more in the coming months, but for now that is fine. THe other aspect I would explore, and you could talk to your pediatrician more about this, are allergies. My son had all the same problems and he ended up being allergic to wheat, milk, soy, eggs, nuts, seeds. . blah. blah. blah. It has been a long process (and you may already have gone through all of this), but he was slowly introduced to other foods and can eat much more now at 2 1/2. So, my advice is don't worry, slow down on the solids and give yourself a break. You're doing great! If it hasn't anything to do with allegies (yay!) then, I would slowly add a little bit of veggies (they are less tart and he won't detect them as easily) to his rice cereal.
Good luck!!
Emily Slusser (Eli Bowman's Sister)
Post a Comment